[Coco] For the love of an OS.

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Tue May 3 16:22:52 EDT 2011

I may need to clarify my position on virtual machines. In the server space
it's getting to be close to impossible to justify not using virtual
machines. As very powerful servers are getting very cheap. How does one
justify having racks of idle servers when a single physical box can handle
the load of 5,6,7,,,,10+ physical machine? I am a firm believer in having
higher counts of single purpose machines and VMs give me the ability to do
that. Even at home I've consolidated 7 aging physical servers into one
with each running in a zone under solaris. (I'm a solaris sys admin by
profesion)

However, the desktop is another matter altogether. While I get by with
virtualbox (I have a paid for license for vmware workstation and switched to
the free virtualbox) when I need to run an application there are severe
limitations to it for day to day use. Among them is resource utilization.
For example the memory you allocate to a vm via virtualbox is reserved in
it's entirety when you start the vm. I know ram is relativly cheap but there
are limits to how much I can have!! There's also the resource overhead of
running the vm and as Aaron has pointed out there are performance issues
that don't exist. While it's tolerable for the situations when only windows
apps are available. A few that come to mind is the software for programming
my tv remote, delorame mapping software and one or two other apps I run.
It's not nearly as good a solution as native linux apps. The issues with
virtualbox means I fire it up when I want to run a windows app and shut it
down when done.

As far as dual booting goes windows is a slovan pig and assumes that all the
partitions are available for it's use and has no problem overwriting the mbr
so that only window will boot. I used to play that game back in the day of
dos and windows 3.1 but will NEVER dual boot between the two again. Better
to not run windows software at all then dual boot.

The Other Frank