[Coco] For the love of an OS.

Tony tonym at compusource.net
Tue May 3 02:01:50 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 01:28 -0400, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> [...]
> >> all run Windows just fine via Bootcamp.
> >>
> >> Steve
> >>

> > What's a kludge for you, is a gold mine for me.
> >
> > I have a quad-core AMD x920 BE-based Dell laptop, 8GB RAM, running
> > Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS. For my corporate environment, I have a WinXP x86 VM
> > under VirtualBox, with the usual suspects: Office, Visio, vSphere client
> > for the data center, etc...
> >
> > For the rest, I use the Linux OS underneath, or additional VMs.
> >
> > When I'm travelling, I have an Asterisk VM I bring up so my co-workers
> > and I can call home, I have a separate XP VM for toying with the Android
> > and WebOS phones, and a few others.
> >
> > I intentionally purchased and built this laptop for Virtualization, and
> > am extremely satisfied with the results!
> >
> > What you call a kludge, I call the be-all end-all of computing!
> >
> > Isn't it great that we have so many choices?
> >
> > The other day, I ran across Groklaw again after a long absence.
> > Seriously flashing back, I fired up VirtualBox, and had a Novell Netware
> > 6.5 server operational, with an NDS tree and everything, in under 60
> > minutes.
> >
> > I love this stuff - right now I'm using the Linux base for this email,
> > and surfing, and have (2) VM's open, one of which is a server I'm
> > working on for work. Tomorrow, I'll copy it off the laptop, give the
> > VMDK to my server team on a USB stick, they'll import it into our SAN
> > cluster for our VMWare ESXi 4.1 cluster, and bring it up in 5 minutes.
> >
> > I'm also in the process of building a home virtualization server. Right
> > now I have 4 systems running everything from the home asterisk, to
> > MythTV. A pair of nice 6-core Opteron 4184's, with an Asus KCMA-D8 dual
> > socket C32 mainboard, 16GB RAM, VMWare ESXi v4.1, and a Synology DS411j
> > SAN will run everything, have boatloads to spare, cost under $1300, and
> > use far less power than the current 4-pc setup.
> >
> > Gotta love how far technology's come...
> >

> I use virtualization in software development all the time, they allow
> me to test software on a variety of OSes and differently configured
> systems.  Snapshots are very useful in this situations.  I used VMs to
> build and test 64bit versions of DriveWire back when I ran a 32 bit
> system, and the same for Linux versions (actually several different
> distributions too) when I ran Windows,  They also do great with
> merging several servers into one, as you are doing at your house,
> although I've seen businesses go way too far with this concept and pay
> the price.
>
> However, it's not a lot of fun to actually do development *inside* a
> VM.  I done a bit of this and the virtual consoles are not as
> responsive as a native one, even in "unity" mode the windows behave a
> bit oddly, especially with multiple screens.  Moving data between a VM
> and the host is not as seamless as moving data between two native
> applications, etc.   I'm not saying it's impossible or even unusable,
> but coding inside a VM would not be my first choice.

VirtualBox has shared folders, or you can map a network drive to the
Host OS just like you would in any client/server fileserver setup. If
you're working, as I am, with one machine being the host and guests,
there is no delay.

If you are working remotely, as in a virtualization server, RDP is your
friend for windows. For Linux, ssh for text, or use XDMCP for X.

As for consolidation, we've been able to trim down 12 datacenters of
about 60 servers, with 6 of those being paired windows clusters with HP
MSA500 clusters, down to (4) HP DL380 G7 hosts (2x 6-core Xeons, 72GB
RAM, 4x300GB SAS drives in RAID5), (2) HP/Lefthand P4500 7.2TB (12x600GB
SAS drives in RAID5) mirrored SANs , and (2) Cisco 3750 switches.