[Coco] Tandy / Color Computer Forum Access

Manny manney at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 16:26:21 EDT 2011

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:06:04 -0500
Roger Taylor <operator at coco3.com> wrote:

> At 01:21 PM 3/25/2011, you wrote:
> >On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 14:10:57 -0400
> >Brian Blake <random.rodder at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > That's what will end up happening. Though if there is ever an
> > instance where
> > > there's a security issue, it'll be required... No major biggie...
> >
> >Considering the past problems with coco3.com, I don't see it as an
> >evil.  Maybe a longer time in between being forced to change your
> >password would be better?
> >
> >--
> >Manny <manney at gmail.com>
>

> All it takes is one slip to kill a site.  Making everybody change
> their passwords periodically really won't make you sleep
> better.  There will be bots at work while you sleep.
>
> Having a high ranked site means fighting spammers, bots and hackers,
> and periodically changing the base system.  When the site was new and
> not easily found, we didn't have any problems except for the common
> spam bot signing up or a person setting up those fake accounts.
>
> You will not get around that battle and run a frequented site at the
> same time.  There's no easy solution and you, the admin, will take
> the heat every time somebody farts out loud in the forums.  You'll be
> accused of being asleep at the wheel, a no-show, too busy,
> unprofessional, inconsiderate, and a bunch of other stuff before you
> finally get to the safest system possible of all that you have tried.
>
> Many forums have come and gone but only one has changed shapes 4 or 5
> times since 2000 while porting over almost all of the older content
> while picking up some other large forums content since 1985.  When I
> get time I'll tweak the look and feel to what people demand tomorrow
> (and who knows what that will be).  I also back up the entire hosting
> account frequently and automatically which hosts multiple sites of
> mine (only 1 gets 99% of the time slice and that's coco3.com), so in
> one click and 5 minutes later I have a .zip or .gz file of every
> single element in a 26-year historic egg shell.

I'm not saying that it's your fault, Roger, but I frequent a few highly
ranked and/or highly visited forums that do not have half of the
problems your's did.  Backing up, forcing changes of password, having a
great host that keeps up with all of the updates, etc. are all very
good bits of advice to keeping the script kiddies at bay.

Brian, just keep up the good work.  If you need any help, just ask and
I know that the people of this forum will do their best to help you.  :)

--
Manny <manney at gmail.com>