[Coco] Compiler [was: CoCo Video Player]

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Tue Mar 22 00:54:17 EDT 2011

Hi John,

I've downloaded bcc09 and will take a look at it. Boisy has written a C
compiler for the 6809 also which I've also downloaded, but I have to set
up a development environment to compile it. I haven't looked at the
source code, but I think it might have been written in Java.

OK on the output of bcc09 being similar to the old Introl compiler. I'm
not sure who I was talking to, whether it was Rich Pennington from
Introl, or John Hartman from NoICE, but I think the Introl compiler
included line numbers of the source code that could be used to index the
source or listing file.

I don't currently have a PC with Linux installed on it, but I do have
Mingw and Cygwin. I did install Wubi on this PC, but I have fogotten the
password and can't log in. I'll have to uninstall and reinstall it.

I also had VMware running CentOS on this PC so I could run the Linux
version of the Xilinx ISE software. I tried to uninstall VMware but it
didn't uninstall properly.

I used to run Linux years ago back in the days of dial up modems and
Yidrasil (sp?). I had Red Hat 6.2 running on an old machine at one stage
with IRLP software on it that doubled as a firewall router with 10base T
coax running around the house :-)

I was looking at Vbcc a while back and that had peek hole optimization
using string matching and substitution on the assembler output.

Generating a run time library for the compiler might not be too hard.
I'm not sure what the issue is with OS-9. The SuperSleuth disassembler
for the 6809 gave you a switch for disassembling code into position
independent format. It would not matter if you used position independent
code for FLEX, just provided the library had hooks into the operating
system. I would have thought OS-9 would have provided similar I/O
interfaces to Flex.

Thanks for your reply. I'll take a look at the code when I have done my
other chores.

John

--
http://www.johnkent.com.au