[Coco] CoCo Video Player

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Mar 17 14:06:44 EDT 2011

On Thursday, March 17, 2011 01:51:40 PM Andrew did opine:

[...]

> I really wonder about how much power is wasted in today's PCs and
> machines; how much every year society throws away into the "garbage"
> computing power we almost would've killed for 20 years ago. Today, it's
> seen as nearly worthless by most, even though we know by this CoCo video
> player demonstration that the real power hasn't even been touched...
>
> Ah well.
>
> -- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona

So do I Andrew.  In fact, anybody that is throwing out an older pc with
these specs or better:

1:  Has a 1.4GHz or better AMD Athlon cpu.
2:  Has already got half a gig of ram in it.
3:  Has a video AGP slot even if it also has onboard video.  For my use,
onboard video is usually poisonous.

And it will at least POST to the point of looking for a hard drive, I am
interested.  Small HD's suitable for a dedicated job I have.

That is about the horsepower of the box that is running my cnc'd micromill,
and with ubunbtu 10.4.2 LTS and emc 2.4.6 installed, it is able to run the
steppers faster than I have motor voltage to run them.  And of course with
a clean install of linux on it, the chances of picking up a windows STD is
very close to the vanishing point.

I would be willing to pay the shipping just to keep another still usable
box that's gotten full of viri & rootkits from running windows, out of the
landfill.  I need another such box, maybe 2.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)