[Coco] [Color Computer] CoCo3.com 2GB Drive Pack vs. USB to serial pack

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Mar 6 22:12:18 EST 2011

At 07:42 PM 3/6/2011, you wrote:
>Can someone explain to me the functional differences there?  Thanks.
>

>bp

Blake, the USB Pak hasn't been advertised yet, so I doubt anybody
will know of it.  I've only got a few in use right now.  Basically
what it does is provide an RS-232 Pak like connection to a PC via a
USB cable.  No DTR or CTS/RTS handshaking is used because it's mainly
a CoCoNet pathway to your PC and CoCoNet doesn't require modem style
handshaking.  I use my own high speed protocol for performing tasks.

Currently, a bitbanger cable combined with a Drive Pak is a powerful
combo.  You get 2GB of virtual drive space on the CoCo (per card) and
unlimited virtual drives on the PC via the 5 foot cable, HTTP
requests and more.  My cable is not included with the Drive Pak
because it's not a requirement of the Drive Pak, but in order to move
virtual disks from your PC to your CoCo, you'll probably need one.

To move real disks to the Drive Pak, you'll need an MPI unit or Y-cable.

--
~ Roger Taylor