[Coco] Question about DriveWire 4 and MESS

Rick Taylor coder32768 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 03:06:46 EST 2011

Hi all,

I am trying to get Drivewire 4 working, both in an emulator (MESS or
VCC, either will do), and I'm running into problems.
I have downloaded the latest version of MESS from here
http://www.mess.org/download.php

and I have the latest version of drivewire 4 (the beta) from here
http://sites.google.com/site/drivewire4/beta

I have MESS booting up from the coco3 and DECB1.1 roms, and when I
boot (ie, type "DOS" from within DECB) from the sdlmess_dwboot.os9
image, it comes up to the 'development build/not for distribution'
initial screen for NitrOS-9, and then hangs, no prompt.

One of the reasons why is because I have not applied the
sdlmess-coco-dwsck-ffe0.patch file to MESS. I am running under
windows, and have my choice of XP, Vista, or Win7(64 bit) -- this
machine boots to a couple of different images.

So here's my question: Under Windows, how the heck do you apply the
patch file? There is no patch.exe in the MESS distribution that I can
find. Do I go get a copy of MAME or something? Or do I just put it
somewhere special?

Thanks in advance!

-- Rick