[Coco] Where to get CoCo parts -- floppy drive, etc.

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Wed Mar 2 11:09:02 EST 2011

For the past six months, I've been working on a hybrid hardware
emulation of the CoCo floppy drive system.  Rather than trying to patch
the software to get SD cards to work with the CoCo, the idea is to make
a device thinks it's a Western Digital floppy disk controller and talks
to the CoCo the way software wants to.

The current design uses two cheap micro controllers.  (Under $9 for
both.) The first chip talk to the CoCo by responding as if it's a WD
controller and handles all the signal lines to the CoCo.  The second
talks to both the SD card and PC for the data needed for the first
chip.  I'm using USB as the interface to the PC but that may change to
Ethernet in the final design.

You will be able to setup different configurations of "Floppies" and
select between them via a "POKE"

In addition to the default WD floppy disk mode, the device will also
have direct communication mode to even faster speed transfers with extra
capabilities.  Playing sound files stored on the SD is one idea being
looked into. (Remember, there is a "Sound In" line on the cartridge
connector.)

As for many, the Recession has hit hard and time is very limited.  (I
can only spend a few hours a month on the project.)  So please, don't
look for this project anytime soon.

Since I have no desire to manufacture and sell the device, I will turn
the completed design over to someone else in the coco community to get
the project out on the market.

Steve Bjork