[Coco] Where to get CoCo parts -- floppy drive, etc.

Brian Blake random.rodder at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 08:11:55 EST 2011

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Jeremy Michea <jmichea at cogeco.ca> wrote:

> I agree with what’s been said about drivewire. I’ve never been able to find
> an actual disk drive and when they do show up on ebay they go for crazy
> money but the thing is you don’t even need one anyway. If you get the
> HDB-DOS and drivewire cable you’re all set IMO. Cheaper and much easier than
> an actual disk drive and old floppies that are prone to breakdown and
> failure.

In theory, DriveWire and CoCoNet are great. In reality, they truly are a
Godsend for most instances. However, there are circumstances where real
hardware is necessary. Try playing Gold Runner 2000 or virtually any Diecom
CoCo3 games via DriveWire or CoCoNet. It just doesn't work. I know there are
at least two CoCoNutz working on hardware floppy controller emulators that
would alleviate this problem, but, those are still a little ways off.

If you're not interested in playing games, this may not be a problem; I do
not know for sure. There's a lot of software for the CoCo and I haven't been
able to test all of it.

Ohioan by birth, Floridian by the grace of U-Haul and a bad economy...