[Coco] New to the world of COCO

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Jun 30 17:38:46 EDT 2011

On Thursday, June 30, 2011 05:32:17 PM Mike Needham did opine:

> Greetings fellow COCO enthusiasts!
>
> I am brand new to the world of the Color Computer, though I was first
> exposed to computers via the TRS-80 and COCO machines.
>
> My uncle had a COCO (not sure if it was a 2 or a 3) back in the 1980's
> and he worked (and still works) as a COBAL programmer.  My school had a
> TRS-80 model 3 or 4 in the math department that was used to tutor us on
> Math skills.
>
> Today, I am a programmer and UNIX Geek.  I collect vintage computers and
> began to focus on the Tandy's as I have a VERY fond place in my heart
> for them all.  My first purchased computer for myself was a Tandy
> 1000TX.  So I shifted my collecting focus from Amiga to Tandy's and if
> you all are interested, glad to discuss my collection in it's entirety
> at a later time ;-)  However, most of the focus is on Tandy and
> currently on COCO3 and parts.  Though just today (6/30/2011) I received
> my COCO2 and drives as part of trade I made for some of my Commodore
> stuff which I am currently getting rid of the lot.
>
> BTW:  If someone knows where one could get a good Tandy CM-8 or CM-11 in
> the Kansas City Metro area, I would love to know!

There is likely not more than 20 cm8's still alive, and the cm11 is an ega
monitor, not usable with the coco.  Your best bet is one of the scan
doublers and a recent vga monitor, even the late lcd's should work with
that.  Roy Justice was making one, and so was someone else, so there might
be one of those on fleabay occasionally.

> Anyhow, hope that I can be involved with you guys and naturally will
> have questions about my machine.  I have an interesting start as I have
> the Motorola book on programming the 6809 processor which sparked my
> interest in acquiring a COCO at this time.

That is an excellent book, made moreso these days by transplanting a
Hitachi 6309 cpu into the coco3, which is about 10% faster natively, and
when combined with nitros9 for the OS, which is today's name for OS9, the
speed for some operations is more than doubled.  The 6309 has quite a few
more instructions than the 6809 has, and is all cmos, so there is virtually
no heat from this new chip.

> Have a good day all!

Cheers, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Peace be to this house, and all that dwell in it.