[Coco] os-9

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jun 26 16:07:02 EDT 2011

On Sunday, June 26, 2011 03:43:34 PM Mark Ormond did opine:

> Ok, I convinced him to take a double sided drive installed in the
> Fd500 enclosure, (So he can remove it and go back to original.)
>
> Now my question is how do I copy os9/nitro os to real floppies after
> booting the os from drivewire?
>
> Later,
> dabone

A PS to my previous post.  In the nos96309l2_dw3.dsk image, the byte at
offset $10 is a $03, which I believe tells nitros9 its an 80 track disk.
Edit that to a $02.  Then at offset $41, the $01 is an $03 on a 10 year old
40 track DS boot disk.

You want to generate a disk that dtype says is:

{t2|07}/DD:dtype /d0
As formatted, this volumes name is OldfaithfullBoot960925
drv=0 stp=3, 5.25 inch diskette, color computer format.
It is a standard OS-9 format, floppy diskette,
dns=01 with single track density or 48 tpi.
cyl=0028  sid=02  vfy=ON  sct=0012  t0s=0012  ilv=03  sas=08

Yeah, ignore the name, that disk is coming up on its 15th birthday.  But a
lot of the hardware it needs to boot has been changed or nitros9 has no
support for because the stuff needed has been deleted, like the drivers for
a WP-RS that I ran a 2nd 13" amber screen monitor with.  Also the serial
mouse was excised when cc3io was broken up, so I have yet to make multivue
work even with my new joydrive_6551.sb driver.

I miss that extra monitor, it was handier than sliced bread or bottled
beer.

Cheers, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Talk is cheap because supply always exceeds demand.