[Coco] os-9

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun Jun 26 08:46:05 EDT 2011

Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> Ok, then the procedure would be:
>
> On DW server, turn HDBDOS Mode on, insert source image in drive #4
>
> On coco, insert destination floppy in disk 0 (or 1,2 etc).
> Type:
>
> DRIVE OFF
> BACKUP 4 to 0
>
> wait a while...
>
> That's it, if I am remembering correctly.
>
> -Aaron

There's a problem with that procedure and it won't work. There is also the
question of whether the Tandy floppy in question is single sided or dual sided
as NitrOS-9 is a large package.

HDBDOS uses DRIVE OFF and DRIVE ON to turn on and off floppies for which ever
hard drive is active. You can select the hard drive that is active with DRIVE#n
where n is 1 through 4.
That means there is no method in the HDBDOS code to copy directly from one hard
drive to another under Disk Basic. It also prevents copying, for example, from
hard drive 0 to floppy 0.

The command BACKUP 4 to 0 would make use of the same hard drive not different
drives on a server. Since the NitrOS-9 disks are floppies not hard drives, using
BACKUP in this fashion would fail badly.

This method is one that will work. First create (on the PC) single sided
NitrOS-9 35-track disks, as many as needed to contain a full package. Then for
each of these disks, place a fresh disk in drive0 on the Coco and use the
following procedure:
  For Server Drive #1
DRIVE ON            no floppies
BACKUP 0 TO 4
DRIVE OFF           floppies on
BACKUP 4 TO 0
The result will be a supper large .dsk ('corrupted' for emulator use) on the PC
and a normal floppy on the Coco.

I can't think of a worse way to run OS-9 than to be forced to constantly change
disks on a system that is too small to contain all normal system programs on one
disk. The original poster would be better off running NitrOS-9 over Drivewire.
So the question really is, does he have a single sided or double sided drive or
can he get a double sided drive?
If the Coco drive is double sided, then the Drivewire would need to do backups
under NitrOS-9 to correctly transfer double sided images from the PC to the
Coco. You would need to boot a DW NitrOS-9 disk, replace it with a 'floppy'
NitrOS-9 disk, and then backup to the Coco.