[Coco] using /ddr0 as default (not boot) drive

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jun 24 22:56:23 EDT 2011

On Friday, June 24, 2011 10:25:32 PM Vanderberg Family did opine:

> /rant on
> I wish America had the foresight that Britain has.  We don't build
> anymore, we mostly just provide service to the world and that will only
> work as long as WE are putting out the best ideas and software and let
> them build it.  But what are we teaching our kids?  To be confident and
> pretty (regardless the surgury and chemicals that takes) and to excell
> on FaceBook and try to get something to go viral on the internet.  I am
> seeing a lot of posts by UK college students doing very sophisticated
> things with the Picaxe, and why not?  They have been learing on the
> same line of chips through their entire school career.  Britain is
> going to harvest a rich crop of engineers, programmers and technicians.
>  Personally I feel that playing with chips and programming and logic
> helps everyone regardless of their course of study or eventual career.
> /rant off

Excellent rant, I am in violent agreement.  But this 'failure' goes back a
long ways, even past what little time I spent in school back in the '40's.
The one size fits all, dumb it down to the lowest common level that 85% can
pass theory was in full bloom by 1948 and is part of the reason I quit and
went out to fix these then newfangled TV sets for a living, but switched to
broadcast in '62, and was the CE at WDTV-5 from 1984 to mid 2002 when I
retired.  But I was good at it, and my phone still brings me work yet.
FWIW I am also a C.E.T.

> I am not really sure why I gave so much detail to such a simple
> question, but I have to admit I am interested and would like to follow
> your progress - especially if it turns out to be a marraige between
> CoCo and Picaxe. My neighbor uses a pc to control his CNC but his main
> project is rebuilding a WWII era jeep from the ground up for his kids
> when they get older.  Beautiful machine he is putting together.  So his
> plans to use an old apple to do the same as you is far in the future.

Well, I was hoping that George Ramsower would check in, he is using a coco2
to drive the cnc mill he is carving steam engine parts with.

> This is the method I used (also krnP3 to get extended error messages).
> Works great.  Thanks to you Boisy and Robert for the clue to success.
> More detail in another post back to Robert if you care.

ATM, an elderly (1.6 Ghz athlon) PC is running EMC, which is driving a 4
axis xylotek driver and that is running the machine very well.  In fact I
made 2 steel bars today, with 1.003" diameter recesses .060" deep to
contain the ends of a pair of tubular rails that a sled holding my planers
blades slides back and forth on for 3 feet, and am redoing the mounting of
this assembly to a Grizzly wet wheel that turns horizontally with the wheel
facing up.  The wheel is a rouge rated at about 12,000 grit, runs with a
dribble of water running across the face, and it is this face that the sled
holding the blade to be sharpened runs back and forth over.  You have not
seen a sharp blade until you've seen a blade sharpened on one of these.
Wet, even at 12,000 grit, it is a cutting fool, and leaves a surface so
polished you can use it for a shaving mirror.  Well polished edges are also
sturdy edges, staying sharp 3 or 4 times longer.

But now we are truly off topic.  Yes George is using a coco2 for cnc, but I
could do what he is doing in 5% of the time the coco2 takes.

Cheers, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
volcano, n.:
	A mountain with hiccups.