[Coco] using /ddr0 as default (not boot) drive

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jun 24 21:14:31 EDT 2011

On Friday, June 24, 2011 09:09:57 PM Vanderberg Family did opine:

Sorry about that, didn't know you were using it.  I've made extensive use
of P4 too.

> to get extended error
> msg) everything is working like a dream. From cold boot, if I do not
> enable the ram drive, everything works normally from /d0.  If I format
> /r0 and backup the /d1 pre-built image to /r0 and chx/r0/cmds & chd /r0
> then I can leave /d0 in the drive or remove it.  System doen't care.
> Everything works perfectly from /r0.  Even extended error messages.
> And the response is just as you would expect from ram and of course
> totally silent. From warm boot all works exactly the same except I can
> skip the format & backup.
>
> In either case, if I use /d0/cmds, it looks in /d0/sys and doesn't care
> if I even use a ram disk (thank you Mr. Gault for pointing out the
> desirability of stock help & error on /d0 and modded versions on /r0).
> If I use /r0/cmds, it looks in /r0/sys just as Robert, Boisy and Gene
> envisioned and doesn't care if there is a /d0. So I can have my cake
> and eat it too, and still have it on reboot. The only downside I see so
> far would be the need to modify help, error and krnP3_err when a new
> version of NitrOS9 comes out and that is no downside at all!  Two
> minutes work (the problem will be my memory, not the solution <grin>).

;-)

> Now the only thing is to spend time on it and make sure that my mods
> don't cause something else to choke.

But now I think you have a handle on fixing whatever chokes.

> I thank you all again for your interest and tips and recommend you try
> it if you are floppy based and have 512k. Ed

Glad you got it working Ed, congratulations.

Cheers, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
'Martyrdom' is the only way a person can become famous without ability.
		-- George Bernard Shaw