[Coco] Need help using ram drive as default drive

Vanderberg Family vanderfamily at peoplepc.com
Wed Jun 22 21:22:27 EDT 2011

Thanks for responding.

I seem to have misled all of you.  I will try again.

I am not in a position to buy a hard drive controller so I am faking it in a very small way with ramdisk.

Goal - ramdisk as default drive so help and error files work quickly enough to be of use and /d0 not required as it is my work disk (80t 720k).  /d1 is mostly used to quickly load ramdisk with prebuilt ram disk images.  At this time I routinely use 3 images (from diff floppies).  #1=CMDS, SYS, et.,  #2=Basic09 stuff I don't want wasting space on ram drive normally and #3=Game & App stuff when diff config is required.  So in essence I have a ram-based hard drive which can be quickly reloaded with the appropriate image.  Normally of course it contains CMDS, SYS, etc.  Also provides a way to retain some data through boot for use in another config.  Reminds me of one I used years ago with small scsi drives mounted in removable trays - swap a drive & it is a whole diff machine.

There have been several answers assuming requirements beyond what I am trying to do (interesting ideas, though).
On cold boot I format ram drive and restore the CMDS-SYS image from /d1, chx /r0/cmds and i'm hot.
On warm boot I only need to chx /r0 and there we are.
This all works fine and saves me a lot of frustration.  The only flaw is not having helpmsg & errmsg - Boo.
Mention was made of actually booting to ram disk for warm boots (Would love to if possible - call that phase 2).
Someone also suggested prepopulating ramdisk in rsdos (OK, way beyond my skills and maybe overkill? like the idea, though).  However, just using ram drive as default, not necessarily boot, is all I really need.  Sounds easy.  Not for me - see below.

Also, to answer, I use cobbler only to reflect dmoded changes to the current boot disk.  Sysgo in memory crept in when I started over with stock standard.bl without quite enough attention (too much coffee I am afraid)
Using os9gen and your standard.bl (with mods for my hardware, of course) to create boot disk - works fine - boots fine as above.
Problem comes in when I comment /ddd0 and enable /ddr0 in standard.bl. - making only that change, My boot fails with >>>>> Pipe Clock Clock2 i2xtot*g

I tried the above stock and also after copying /r0_192k.dd to /ddr0_192k.dd and using ded to modify the R0 reference to DD (44 C4 - correct?) to try to avoid the expected /ddr0 choke on the preexisting /r0 with diff format.  Did this make sense to you?

In other words, I am trying to change a working standard.bl to use the /ddr0 descriptor from the distrib disk.
So, my question is what needs to be done in addition to selecting the /ddr0 descriptor in order to enable ram drive as default?  If I am thinking correctly, that change will achieve all I have described.  THEN I can think about /r0 as a boot device on warm boots - another question for another day.

And again I thank you and all others for the help.
Ed