[Coco] Need help using ram drive as default drive

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Jun 22 15:11:17 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, June 22, 2011 02:58:14 PM Robert Gault did opine:

> gene heskett wrote:
> > <snip>
> > Tapping the reset button will not get you there because that reruns
> > the original track 34 still in memory, whose boot module points at
> > /dd which is likely an alias of /d0.
> >
> > So I am stuck. Classic chicken and egg. Tap the reset, wrong boot
> > module in memory, use 'reboot' and there is no method to select the
> > ramdisk. <snip>
> > However, if the ramdisk is named /dd, and that stuff is copied to the
> > ramdisk, then the /dd/sys problem is nicely solved.
> >
> > Am I seeing it correctly Robert, or do I have an error,
> > -ENOTENOUGHCOFFEE?
>
> Not enough coffee :)
>
> Gene, you are right that you can't get there from here. Boot from /d0
> and the wrong boot module will be in memory. That can only be changed
> with a utility like chboot by Alan DeKok, which must be somewhere on
> the Web. I have a copy (written for OS-9 not NitrOS-9) which can change
> in memory REL, BOOT, OS9P1, or a combination. I don't believe this has
> been rewritten for NitrOS-9.
>
> The only other hope for a pure stock Coco system is to start a RAM disk
> under Disk Basic, populate it with NitrOS-9, and then boot from the RAM
> disk. Now if Ed is willing to buy a hard drive for the Coco or Roger's
> DrivePak, then floppies will not be required. Both the hard drive and
> DrivePak are silent and fast enough to satisfy a RAM disk user.

I'd vote for the drivepak.  I assume you are referring to Rogers MicroSD
pack?  But Roger is behind and its been removed from coco3.com. :(

Cheers, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Knowledge is power -- knowledge shared is power lost.
		-- Aleister Crowley