[Coco] Need help using ram drive as default drive

Vanderberg Family vanderfamily at peoplepc.com
Wed Jun 22 03:20:16 EDT 2011

-----Original Message-----

In trying to ask a very specific question I seem to have caused some confusion.  But your response and Roberts have given me an idea for later.  But I'll start over.

CoCo 3, 512k Ram (Performance Peripherals), CM-8  monitor
/d0 3 1/2" 80T 720k, /d1 5 1/4" 40TSS (late FD-500) Performance Peripherals floppy controller
/r0 ram disk formatted same as /d1
NitrOS9 3.2.8
Trying to enable /ddr0_192k.dd
I boot to NitOS9 from /d0
Format /r0 and then backup /d1 to /r0from a prebuilt ram disk image with CMDS, SYS, sysgo, startup, etc.
chx /r0/cmds

OK no magic here - but when I reboot to test a new boot disk or run a game with diff config (or one of the millions of reasons that always require me to reboot IMMEDIATELY after I finish all of the work setting up just what I need...) then i do truly see magic.  As soon as I boot I already have my fully populated ram disk.  It even works through a failed boot!  Of course the instant response of CMDS in ram is normal for you on hard drives or drive wire, etc. but on a floppy based system all of this magic built into NitrOS9 really makes the CoCo responsive and saves me a ton of time setting things up (~30sec after OS9 boot vs 3-4 min).

OK all of this works great but the system still stubbornly looks for helpmsg and errmsg on /dd.  SLOW.  So, I tried a new boot disk with /ddr0_192k.dd but that is when my boot fails.  As I had dmoded my /r0 to match /d1 for quick backup as mentined above I expected that when I booted with the unmodified /ddr0_192.dd the boot would have a problem with the unmodified /ddr0 since the still existing ram drive parameters didn't match, but I hoped I could get far enough through the errors to dmode /ddr0 and cobbler a new boot, boot, redo ram drive, boot & test /ddr0 against the still existing /r0.  Boot Fails. Hence the post.

Also, the sysgo is in the root of /r0 and not (normally) in the boot.  I will have to go back and check my bootlist.  Probably part of one of my tests with changing /DD references in sysgo and init to try to force the boot to look at /d0 rather than /dd to get past the /dd problem above so I could try to dmode /ddr0 and eliminate that part from the problem.  Sysgo will go... but that makes me wonder why I did not see init as I did in otehre examples.  And as to that, why does the init need to stay resident?  Just curious

So my real question is how do you enable a default /ddr0 when you do not already have an /r0 for init & sysgo to access during the initial boot process?  Question 2, failing that, how can you cause help and error to access SYS on the ram drive?

I thank you all for your time.
Ed