[Coco] Remembering the Deluxe Color Computer....

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jun 20 14:07:26 EDT 2011

 >/From a video display point of view, the CoCo 1/2 was pitiful and
archaic /

 >/compared to most of the competing computers of the time (not counting
budget /

 >/systems like the sinclair).

/
Let me elaborate on my comments.

I entered the CoCo community is 1985 so by this time, the CoCo's 32x16
"green" text screen was quite dated.

It's two color "high res" with limited palette selection (Black/White or
Black/Green) was also very dated.

When did the 6847 and SAM combination come out? I'm sure it was late 70's.

It wasn't till '86 that we were to finally get the GIME.

Every computer has it's plus and minuses. The Commodore 64 had a great
video and sound chip but a lousy BASIC and slow serial I/O. The CoCo had
a lousy video and no sound chip but a great CPU and BASIC.  The Deluxe
CoCo would have been great had it come out when it was suppose to.

I guess it all comes down to cost.

Nick