[Coco] OS9 RBF IT.TYP ????

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jun 17 22:46:39 EDT 2011

On Friday, June 17, 2011 10:29:54 PM Willard Goosey did opine:

> Bit 5 of the TYP byte in an RBF device descriptor is a flag for "CoCo
> format" or "non-coco format".
>
> What exactly does this imply?
>
> I'm looking at reading/writing foreign disk formats but this is
> confusing me.
>
> Thanks,
> Willard

I believe that if set, placing a hexidecimal $20 in that byte, that is the
flag that says its a std coco floppy disk.

But this a std that encompasses the 35T SS, 40T SS, 40T DS, and 80T DS or
SS formats.

If this bit is not set (AND($20, IT.TYP)=$00, then it is up to your driver
to use other means to identify the disk.  This might even involve doing a
seek to LSN0 by directly driving the stepper outward until the drive says
its on track zero, letting the disk turn at least a turn, and then reading
both the sector register and track register of the fdc chip.  Or ask it to
read sector zero of track zero, if error, try sector 1 of track zero.  If
that works, try sector zero of track one.  At some combination of 0,0; 0,1;
1,0; 1,1, you should be able to get a valid read but be sure and ask for
512 bytes if expecting a messydos disk, or even less than 256 for some of
the other older formats.

I fooled with that sort of thing using disk basic's discon routines, but
its 20+ years back up the log, so I don't recall a lot of details.

Cheers, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
No guts, no glory.