[Coco] LSN0 C code

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Jun 11 07:21:04 EDT 2011

On Saturday, June 11, 2011 07:07:24 AM Stephen H. Fischer did opine:

> Hi,
>
> For those of you who are not familiar with a Bulk Tape Eraser, I decided
> to provide a link to one.
>
> MCM let me down for the first time in a very long time.
>
> http://www.mcminone.com/
>
> Using Search.com (Why why will W7 64 Bit and IE9 not allow me to add
> Search.com) I stumbled on a uTube Video that at ~ 1:04 has a perfect
> picture why I purchased my bulk tape eraser ~ 40 years ago.
>
> (It has been > 15 years since I listened to a reel to reel tape, the
> noise and print through must be very bad now, the first tape was
> recorded ~ 50 years ago!)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3ozPmZmrtU
>
> Use the same technique for floppy disks. I even rotate 3.5" disks so
> that the part behind the metal slide is completely erased.
>
> SHF

We had, past tense, a bulk eraser at the tv station that was apparently
made for erasing the 10.5" and 14" NAB reels of audio tape.  But it fell
into disuse when the 3/4" u-matic format for video came along as it was not
strong enough to wipe all the way to the center.

Somewhere in my collection I have one of the hand held ones that the Shack
sold for cassette tapes, and it worked well on floppies, including 3.5".

For audio work, it is very important that the media be removed very slowly
from the field these generate before the power switch is released.  Turn it
off while the tape is still in contact, and you likely will leave the tape
very hissy & noisy, with a distinct, it will peg the vu meters thump once
per turn of the reel.