[Coco] c64 taking making a comback!?

Mike Craig mdcmike at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 9 15:27:21 EDT 2011

Frank Swygert <farna at ...> writes:

> The only thing you'd lack to make one yourself is the custom keyboard. It's a
mini ITX in a customized C=64
> case. Easy to put all that stuff in a hacked up CoCo case -- except for the
CoCo keyboard. You'd need a reverse
> PS2 keyboard adapter, could be done the same way with a micro controller.
Personbally I'd just install a
> mini PC keyboard.
>
> This is mostly hype. There is a "Commodore OS" in the works, but it ships with
Ubuntu Linux. I suspect the
> "Commodore OS" is a customized Linux. It runs a C=64 emulator if you want to
play some classic C=64 games or
> do some programming. It's not like the FPGA CoCo (or C=64 on a chip). It's a
new PC in an old style case. They
> are selling on nostalgia. I doubt they will be around long. Mini ITX computers
aren't real powerful, but
> this would be good for internet use and other tasks, not for serious gaming
though.

> Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 17:46:45 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Ben Jimenez<ben_jimenez at ...>
> ok, not too happy about this, why aren't we here yet?????
>
> http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

According to Commodore USA's online forums, the Commodore OS will be a flavor of
Linux. IMO, I think their success hinges on it being great. If it's nothing more
than another skin of Gnome or KDE, then it's a bust.