[Coco] CF and SD life expectancy

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Jul 28 11:32:03 EDT 2011

Okay, I now know that motherboard RAID is no good, and Linux software
RAID seems to be preferred over a hardware RAID card by most. CDs aren't
reliable past a few years (I've got one I can't read now, and it's not
very old... I think it's quality of the media, though it's a good name
brand, Imation). But I don't recall seeing anything specific about
keeping data long term on CF or SD cards. Maybe I missed it, I sometimes
skip over a digest. What was the consensus on that? I keep a small
database backed up on an SD card (address book) and have for a couple
years now. Only change the data quarterly at most, usually just
bi-annually (for a quarterly publication).

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"