[Coco] CF and SD life expectancy

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 07:47:09 EDT 2011

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Jay Coleman wrote:

>> I'd *never* trust any archival function to optical media atm. I'm really
>> hanging on some sort of 100% reliable, permanent archival medium, because
>> even backing up to two HDD still makes me nervous! :(

> Then you are stuck with tape.  Expensive (at least for the drives), slow, but
> very reliable tape.

Expensive unless you keep a close eye on eBay.  I picked up three LTO-2
drives over the past few years and didn't pay more than $80 for any of
them.  Since these are enterprise-class products, you can download
comprehensive diagnostic software free from the vendor and ensure you
haven't purchased a lemon.

Both the tapes and the drives keep non-volatile operational logs and it's
simple to find out POH, tape usage, etc.

Slow is all relative.  I can backup 300+ GB from my server to tape in less
than an hour.

Steve