[Coco] CF and SD life expectancy

Jay Coleman jlc at dalelands.org
Wed Jul 27 01:29:33 EDT 2011

  On 7/24/2011 9:31 PM, Mark Ormond wrote:
> Go raid 6 or zfs.
> (Never trust raid as a way to keep your data safe. A good backup that is tested is the only way to insure your data is safe. I sell A LOT of servers,
> And tell this to every customer. Raid is a good way to keep downtime to a minimum.)
>
> Later,
> dabone

Indeed.  RAID is to keep your data online in case of minor failure.
Backups are to keep your data alive in case of major failure.   Any
system that is not using both is asking for hurt.  (And oh, how hard it
is to explain sometimes... executives can be so obtuse... "How much does
it cost you to lose this data?" "$2-3 million."  "Then buy me a $50k
backup system."  "But that's expensive!")

Jay