[Coco] I2C - Is it possible?

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jul 25 23:33:49 EDT 2011

Sorry, wasn't thinking very clearly last night (it was the eraly hours
of the morning here when I posted). You need both clock & data lines
which means you need 4 signals, two transmit and two receive. That means
you need RXD, TXD, RTS & CTS signals on the CoCo serial interface port,
assuming they are bit bashed. You can use a MAX232 to do the RS232 level
to TTL I2C conversion. You can find the datasheet online, and that
should give circuit examples of how to wire it up.  The outputs to the
I2C bus can be open collector with some pull ups. You can do that with a
74HC(?)125 (?) by tying the input of each buffer section to the output
enable pin. The transmit and open collector receive lines can be paired
off and tied together.

Alternatively, you could use a PIC or AVR to make an RS232 to I2C
bridge. I had an idea that NXP made some RS232 to I2C bridge chips.

John.

--
http://www.johnkent.com.au
http://members.optusnet.com.au/jekent