[Coco] CoCo 3 to RBG...

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jul 22 15:12:12 EDT 2011

On Friday, July 22, 2011 02:59:34 PM gene heskett did opine:

> On Friday, July 22, 2011 11:56:59 AM Steven Hirsch did opine:
> > On Fri, 22 Jul 2011, gene heskett wrote:
> > > The menu works, but I don't read chinese, so the only english shown
> > > is a column of numbers, 1 thru 5.  No clue what they actually
> > > control.
> >
> > I cannot believe they are _still_ shipping them with Chinese as the
> > default.  If you hunt around in the menu tree, you'll eventually see
> > "English" as an option and change the display.
> >
> > Your experience is the same as mine.  I was able to get a stable
> > display only after configuring the sync combiner.  Your theory about
> > inverted sync may well be correct.  I went back and read the circuit
> > description of that 4-gate circuit I sent folks.  It's intended to
> > accept + or - sync signals and force them to -.  That aspect may be
> > what does the trick.
> >
> > Steve
>
> Zella, the non-technical sales droid at Gonbes in china, just handed me
> off to Tim. and I sent him my story about 30 minutes ago.  We'll see
> what he says.
>
> Cheers, gene

So far, no reply from Tim at jammawhatever.

I did find a youtube video that at least explains how to switch the menu
from Chinese to English, but it does not appear to survive a power down
reset.

Hit the menu button, up arrow to 4 and press the menu button again, which
will bring up a 2 choice and return menu, up arrow to highlight the 1 and
tap the menu button again,  voila!  English menu's.

But if we have to do this for every power up, it will be a bit of a bummer.
However, if it remembers the rest of the settings, probably this won't be
needed all that many times.

Now, since Tim seems 'pre-occupied', I did find another video where a
capacitor and a pair of 510 ohm resistors was used to mix the separate H &
V syncs and feed the 'S' pin from an Atari ST.  But I have no clue which
polarity the sync sigs are coming out of an Atari ST.  I could measure it
of course since I managed to buy one at a cocofest in Pittsburgh a decade
back.  But I am inclined to see if there are any spare gates in IC15 first.
Or fly a bug on a handy chip and use that.  Time to go inventory my chips I
guess.  Later folks.
Cheers, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)