[Coco] CoCo 3 to RBG...

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 18:03:31 EDT 2011

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, gene heskett wrote:

> On Monday, July 11, 2011 08:40:47 PM Steve Batson did opine:
>
>> Gene,
>> Both of my Monitors only go down to 31K for the Horizontal Sync. I did
>> some searching for adapters though and came across something
>> interesting and possibly useful to me and others here.
>> Check out the following link.
>> Assuming I built a cable feed the CoCo RGB into this, put it in some
>> type of project case with a 5V DC adapter on it, it looks like it might
>> do what I would need to use a CoCo with any of the new Monitors with a
>> VGA connector. $39 isn't bad either. Probably can add another $30 or so
>> buying a project case, 5 Volt power adapter and parts to build the
>> cable to connect to the CoCo.
>>
>> http://www.jammaboards.com/store/cga-ega-yuv-to-vga-converter-pcb-gbs-82
>> 20/p rod_291.html?gclid=CJmmksC8-qkCFYcaQgodOlAhXw
>> Think this would do it?
>>
> It certainly looks as if it should.  And, considering its aimed at
> prolonging the life of arcade games, and is likely sold by the thousands to
> the arcade machine owners, that is a good price.  Most of those wouldn't
> need the box or a PSU as that can be sucked from the arcade boards PSU with
> a couple of wire nuts, but it looks a little big to hide in a coco, and at
> 10 watts worth of power needed, demands its own PSU since the coco can't
> spare that much.

That board will work great, but unless they changed the design since I
bought mine, it does not handle separate sync when fed with RGB 15.75 Khz.
video.  I had to build a little two-chip sync-combiner circuit to get it
functional.  Not a big deal, but one more hassle.

If you do manage to get it working with H+V sync, please let us know what
you did?

Steve