[Coco] What are the best games to show off a coco?

J.P. Samson coco+list at jeanpaulsamson.com
Tue Jul 12 16:01:47 EDT 2011

On Jul. 12, 2011, at 5:30 AM, Mark Ormond wrote:

> What are your favorite games? These can be for the 3 only or for the
> 1/2 if they work on the 3.

I'm not familiar with all of the games that came out for the CoCo 3,
but I do have some favourites from the era of the CoCo 1/2 when I was
a kid:

1.  Time Bandit (Michtron/Computer Shack); req. colour artifacting

Excellent graphics and runs very fast, especially considering it uses
software-based scrolling of the tile-based playing field.  See <http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/timebandit.html

2.  Donkey King (Tim Mix); req. colour artifacting

A clone of Donkey Kong, and one of the best for any computer or video
game console of this era.  Obviously, this has been succeeded by
Sockmaster's brilliant and near perfect port of Donkey Kong for the
Coco 3.  See
<http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/donkeyking.html>

3.  Grabber (Tom Mix); req. colour artifacting

A seemingly simple maze game with an interesting twist; you can
teleport back-and-forth between two different mazes.  Catchy multipart
music plays constantly through the game, a difficult feat on a CoCo
1/2.  See <http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/grabber.html>

Some other CoCo 1/2 favourites (in no particular order):

a.  Buzzard Bait (Tom Mix); req. colour artifacting
	<http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/buzzardbait.html>
b.  Cashman (Michtron/Computer Shack); best w/ colour artifacting
	More fun as a two-player game.
	<http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/cashman.html>
c.  Dungeons of Daggorath (Tandy/Radio Shack)
	<http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/daggorath.html>
d.  Mega-Bug (Tandy/Radio Shack); req. colour artifacting
	Frustratingly fun.  Cool digitized voice when you get eaten.
	<http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/megabug.html>
e.  Sailor Man (Tom Mix); req. colour artifacting
	Very polished, but the game isn't all that fun.
	<http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/sailorman.html>
f.  Skiing (Tandy/Radio Shack)
	Neat 3D perspective with digitized voice.
	<http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/skiing.html>
g.  Zaxxon (Datasoft); req. color artifacting
	Steve Bjork's piece-de-resistance!
	<http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/zaxxon.html>

-- JP