[Coco] Cococompatible monitors... [Now CoCo3FPGA, FPGA Development, and GIME replacement]

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Jul 6 23:23:03 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, July 06, 2011 11:03:39 PM Joel Ewy did opine:

> >> This is the only thing I have bookmarked:
> >> http://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.htm
> >
> > It took several passes as their site does several things to FireFox5
> > that it didn't like, so I had to use the keyboard to get to another
> > screen and shoot it dead with htop the first 2 times, after I had
> > created an account.
>
> I have to say, I've been profoundly unimpressed by FF5 so far.  I
> upgraded from 3.6, which took many days or weeks to leak memory into
> swap with literally dozens of tabs open at a time.  FF5 initially seemed
> better.  Then it started crashing all the time, which I finally traced
> down to a bad add-on (fortunately not Adblock Plus or Too Many Tabs).
> Performance in general does seem a little better (you notice they never
> stipulate that it will be better on the same hardware...) but I had to
> clean up a whole lot of tabs, because while it seems to start off not
> consuming huge amounts of RAM, what memory leaks there are seem to leak
> faster, so in just a couple days the machine is swamped and thrashing
> and I've got to kill FF and restart it.  I'm hoping they fix that.
>
> > The 4Gb dl is a tar!  Didn't those folks ever hear of
> > gzip/bzip2/lrzip? Sheesh, its probably at least 50x the size it could
> > probably be shrunk to with lrzip.  But I should have it in about 3
> > more hours.
>
> What on earth were they thinking?

Darned if I know.  By the time I got done installing it, it used about 12
Gb of /opt, and about 8 Gb of /home where I initially unpacked the tarball.

About 2/3rds of the way through the install, it spit out on the konsole a
FF error blaming libxul.so as not being available.  FF runs just fine now,
but not from that konsole session.  So its set an environment var of some
kind that screws with FF.

Also, while that was the only error reported, I cannot find anything to
execute except the update checker, which dutifully reports that I can
update my 13.1 install with 13.1.  Sort of dumb.

Is this stuff so married to finding the DE1 board that it silently won't
run w/o one plugged into a usb hub and powered up?  Or do I need to reboot,
and reinstall again (if it will let me run the installer again, I haven't
tried) using the same defaults as before?

> > That will give some Cabot wood conditioner time to dry on some poplar
> > I am trying to control the color of.  If it overstains then, I go
> > back to shellac for a sealer.

It burned up the color again, so I sanded it down again, and put two coats
of 2 lb shellac on, and now has 2 more coats of 25% stain & 75% Sams recipe
wiped on top of the leveled shellac, looks like one more coat will do it
for the right color.

[...]
> >> Like John K. says, you've got to register with them and do a deal
> >> with Rumplestiltskin for your firstborn child, but no money changes
> >> hands, and they haven't come to collect Henry yet.
> >
> > Chuckle, depending on how old Henry is now, I'd bet there are times
> > you hoped they would,  I say that while ducking and looking for cover
> > though. ;-)
>
> He's a pretty good kid for an 8 year old.  Anna is 2.  Maybe they could
> borrow her for a year.  Nah.

At 8, your boy sprout hasn't turned into a Girl Scout, yet...  Then things
get interesting.  BTDT, 5 times.  Anna isn't your firstborn, so she is off
the table, not for sale, don't even let 'em think about it.

Thanks Joel.

Cheers, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
By protracting life, we do not deduct one jot from the duration of death.
		-- Titus Lucretius Carus