[Coco] How much of a CoCo makes it a CoCo?

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Wed Jul 6 17:43:53 EDT 2011

How much of a CoCo can you rip out and it still be a CoCo?

Let's take the CoCo 3, for example.

If I take out the 6809 and put a 6309, I think we can all agree that it's still a CoCo 3, right?

What if I were to put an FPGA in the 40 pin socket (assuming a kit existed).  Still a CoCo 3?

Or replaced the GIME with something similar?

Or replaced the entire motherboard with a similar sized board that had all the connectors, minus perhaps an analog RGB connector at the bottom but instead a VGA connector?  Would that still be a CoCo 3?

What is defined to be the "soul" of a CoCo 3?

Best Regards,
Boisy G. Pitre
http://www.tee-boy.com/