[Coco] Coco compatible monitors...

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jul 6 09:13:21 EDT 2011

On 6/07/2011 4:57 PM, Mark McDougall wrote:
> On 6/07/2011 4:45 PM, J.P. Samson wrote:
>
>> I have no technical knowledge of such things, but with the
>> flexibility of
>> the FPGA, could you not do some additional processing on the stored
>> frames?
>> Might it be possible to then "generate" artifact colors on output
>> that were
>> missing from the CoCo's RGB or PAL composite outputs?
>
> In theory, yes. But unfortunately the artifact colours are quite
> subtle and not easy to reproduce accurately, if one believes the
> analysis done by others on this and similar groups (and I have no
> reason to doubt them).
>
> Regards,

I'm not sure what is meant by "artifact colours" but the problem of
reading, modifying and writing back graphics is the available memory
bandwidth. You have to steal more cycles from the CPU to be able to read
and write back the information. The number of colors is restricted by
the way the graphic chip stores the graphics.

John.

--
http://www.johnkent.com.au
http://members.optusnet.com.au/jekent