[Coco] CoCo3FPGA, FPGA Development, and GIME replacement

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jul 5 18:47:53 EDT 2011

Couldn't help noticing the words "GIME replacement" in the heading.

Is there someone creating a GIME chip replacement (as opposed to a whole
CoCo3/4)?

The whole FPGA/CoCo4 thing has been going on for years. I was just
wondering if at the end of it, will there be an affordable CoCo4 main
board made available?

I always thought that, if it was possible, just an upgraded GIME chip
replacement (plug in board?) with enhanced features (more colors,
graphics acceleration etc) was the best and cheapest means to a CoCo4
rather than reinvent the *whole* wheel.

I guess that FPGA would give us a faster CPU for all that new software
that is to be developed. (there will be won't there?)  :)

Nick