[Coco] trouble with AR

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sun Jan 16 07:18:36 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 08:51:04PM +1000, Bob Devries wrote:
> Guys,
>
> please remember that many of the files were uploaded with XMODEM file
> transfers. As such they are padded to a 128 byte boundary with
> CTRL-X.

Well, uptime.ar has strings of H's, B's, and D's at the end of the
first archived file, not at the end of the archive itself.  Like Rob
said, it even lost a few bytes off the first compressed file.  It's
pretty definitely hosed.

Been that way for a while, too.  My RTSI CD-ROM has exactly the same
archive.

So, uptime.ar is hosed, but AKAIK the other .ar files on RTSI are good.

> If you remove those, the files are generally ok. There's even a util
> that does just that. I think it's called FIXAR.

Never heard of that one!  All it does is trim off XMODEM padding?

> Also, be careful of EOL translations; CR to CRLF etc.

Always good advice.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA