[Coco] trouble with AR

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun Jan 16 05:43:47 EST 2011

Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> I've had lots of trouble unpacking the .ar files found on RTSI.  I
> have ar v1.3 and ar v2.0.
>
> For instance, the file ftp://www.rtsi.com/OS9/OS9_6X09/UTILITIES/uptime.ar
>
> with ar 1.3:
>
> {N2|03}/DD/TMP:ar -x uptime.ar
> extracting<uptime>
> ar: file not archive or damaged
> ERROR #001
>
> with ar 2.0:
>
> {N2|03}/DD/TMP:ar2 -x uptime.ar
> extracting<uptime>
> ar2: file damaged - no header at $12FE
> ERROR #001
>
> Anybody know exactly what version of 'ar' I should be using?
> Sometimes a .ar file will work for me, but a lot of them don't.
> I have a feeling I figured this out once, but I'm not doing so well
> this time around.
> -Aaron

Aaron,
I can't speak for any file other than the reference uptime.ar which is indeed
damaged and/or mislabeled. The archive has no compression but the header for the
first file in the archive has an incorrect file length. I'll see if that can be
corrected.

If the problem really was ar v1.3 format, I wrote a Basic09 program to convert
those files back to previous versions. However, that is not the problem for
uptime.ar .