[Coco] Copyright

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sat Jan 15 22:23:52 EST 2011

On Jan 15, 2011, at 9:07 PM, gene heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

> Chuckle.  But I wouldn't ask corporate for advice on that Allen, as they
> have no intention of ever letting a copyright expire. :(

My understanding of intent was that copyright would protect someones creation so they could make money off of it, then expire to encourage new ideas to have to be developed.

Fine and dandy. Does a grandkid have the rights to live off of something they had nothing to do with creating? Big question.

Disney continues to use Mickey Mouse. Without that, the company would become less and less since following creations mean less and less in the modern fragmented media world. So should it have released sometime after Walt Disney passed away? If it's still actively being used, maybe not. If it's collector dust (orphanware) maybe...

Its a mess, long term, but at least during the creators lifetime they should have the Right to specify who cab Copy their works. Seems fair.