[Coco] Converting ANSI-C to K&R(Microware) - Ansifront didn't work

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jan 9 20:01:27 EST 2011

On Sunday, January 09, 2011 07:57:54 pm Willard Goosey did opine:

> On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 08:56:45PM -0800, Michael Furman wrote:
> > I've noted that cc252 calls c.pass1 and c.pass2.  Is there any real
> > difference between this and c.comp?  How do I switch them?
>
> c.pass1 & c.pass2 are slower, c.comp uses more memory.  That's it.
> You'll have to edit cc252.c and recompile if you want to use c.comp.
>
> > c.prep [ used by cc1 ]
> > c_prep19 [ Can replace c.prep ?, cc252 expects this to be named c_prep
> > ]
>
> Yeah, the stock c.prep can go away.  If you sometimes end up using cc1
> you can make a copy of c_prep named c.prep.

cc1 was busted.

> > rmxlab [ ? ]
>
> Part of copt2, which I've never really used.  It removes unused local
> labels from assembly.  I assume it would be run after copt2 to clear
> out labels of code that had been removed.
>
> > c.opt [ used by cc1, cc252 ]
> > copt2 [ can replace c.opt ? ]
>
> Again, I've never really used copt2.
>
> > c.asm [ used by cc1 ]
> > rma [ used by cc252 ]
> > r63 [ cc252 -N ]
>
> rma is a slightly newer version of c.asm.  The problem is that c.asm &
> c.link can't handle rma & rlink's .r files.  This was a real problem
> when Tandy shipped cgfx.l -- the C graphics library -- assembled with
> rma and then didn't tell anybody.  See "What You Should Know About
> Your C Compiler."

Least of all me, no wonder I never made that work for my own code carving.
Thanks.

> Gene's mentioned cnoy, which I don't use.  It makes the code smaller &
> faster, but damages the position-independant nature of the code.  I
> object philosophically.

So do I but I don't recall that ever being a problem on a coco3.

> Also sometimes needful is lb_C_Lib_splitter.lzh for taking apart .l
> files.

That is like that turnbutton on the outhouse door, gives peace of mind.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)