[Coco] Mark Siegel found?

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Sun Jan 9 01:01:54 EST 2011

Nick,

Mark Siegel is a common name in America and quick Google search is not
going to be too helpful.

I did have Mark's home phone number but after he left Tandy, he move and
never gave me his new number.

Also, Mark is far from being the Father of the CoCo since started
working for Tandy years after the CoCo hit the market.  But he did have
something to do with getting OS-9 for the CoCo and some specifications
for the CoCo 3.  He was a project manager when he worked with me at
Datasoft and was not a programmer or hardware engineer.

For the record, the nonexistent "256 color" of the CoCo 3 was Marks
idea.  But the limits on cost for the Coco 3 kept it out of the design.
His final 256 color design (never used thank god) was a joke with only
80 dots (more like blocks) per scan line.  Even that mode could never
work because the Video DAC was only 2 bits per color for a total of 64
colors.  Even years later, he would tell CoCo users that there was a 256
mode hidden inside the GIME.  Why,  who knows?

The stuff I was fighting for in the design for the CoCo 3 was real UART
for true RS-232 port and simple sound system that could play a few notes
at once.  But in the end I had to be happy with a programmable timer
with interrupt to "fake" the UART and sound chip.

Steve Bjork