[Coco] OS-9 device descriptor list

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Jan 8 21:24:59 EST 2011

On Saturday, January 08, 2011 09:09:21 pm Willard Goosey did opine:

> On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 01:04:25PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> >     6 $E1 $A70A4C . Parallel
> >     6 $F1 $01146A . LP
>
> OK, yet another parallel port driver and descriptor, I assume.  Brief
> description please?
>
> Willard

Very simple, only chokes if the printer is on fire or out of paper, 8 bit
parport driver.  In this case for the parport on the SC-II+4n1.

None of these so called parport drivers are 'bulletproof' Willard, and
after the FCC made printers grow some noise filters, few if any worked
correctly and likely never will until some enterprising soul actually gives
us a bit of parport hardware that actually latches the data and handshakes
with the printer so it knows the printer got it.  The problem is that the
data is only valid for about half an E-clock, along with the strobe to the
printer, then its gone, tristated till the next byte gets written.  With
the noise filters present at the Centronics port of the printer since the
commish tried to quiet them down, 1/2 an E-clock is simply not enough time
for the data to become valid on the other side of those filters. It needs
around a 3 u-second hold time per byte.  I was gonna stick a latch and
flip-flop on the port, but the printer upchucked for other reasons (broken
pins in the head) and I went back to a serial port and that old xerox 1650-
ro for a printer.  Now of course the 1650-ro still works, but even the
'new' (insert laff line here) one time ribbons for it are so old they
shatter like a dropped wine glass on the first character strike.  So now I
use a cheap brother laser, with cups on this machine in the pipeline doing
the rasterizing.  At 22 PPM, by far the fastest printer I've ever had
available to my coco.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)