[Coco] terrifying sysadmins for fun with UUCP was Re: old backups , RESTORED!

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 23:36:06 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 7:36 PM, gene heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

> Someone, I don't recall who now, said that with dw4, one could assign one
> of its 256 virtual disks such that anything stored to that disk, actually
> was sent to the printer, and I'd like to do that as it would truly free up

DW4 and DW3 provide a /p device that you can use as a printer.  It is
a regular SCF device, not a disk device.  Dump text into it and you'll
get a text file on the server side.  DW4 also has an optional mode
that instead of creating text files will render images that look
something like a page of dot matrix printer output.  It understands
most of the Epson FX80 printer commands for formatting text.  Graphics
mode is not yet supported.

> the bitbanger port for dw's exclusive use.  I considered trying to write a
> /p descriptor that was actually /t3 (Rogers bt pack), but that just isn't
> dependable enough, I have yet to keep a terminal proggy logged into the
> coco over it for more than about 16 hours straight.  At some point, the
> signal gets weak, and the both machines must be rebooted and the devices
> re-paired to make it work for a few hours again.  My way right now, Just
> Works(TM) but it ties up the bitbanger too.

I have similar results with all things Bluetooth, I don't think this
type of problem is limited to the bluetooth pack.  Not sure if its
just our bad luck or something inherit to the way bt works.

> Has anyone, using a short 3 or 4 foot cable to a decent FDTI ser-usb
> adapter, made that work at 460k?  I am fresh out of those 4 pin din
> connectors and they are no longer a shack stocked item.  Also I have noted
> that neither Mark nor Roger, seems to be offering that cable ready made, so
> who has the parts and is selling them?

I run both an FTDI and a Prolific usb-serial adapter into a 6 foot
serial cable to an FPGA board running CoCo3FPGA at 460kbps, no
problems at all.   Surprised neither Roger or Cloud9 is selling the
cables any more. Maybe they can scrounge one up.  I once rigged up a
cable using an end of a C64 disk drive cable (you have to bend the
pins a bit and it still doesn't fit perfectly).  That cable worked
well enough to run the world first CoCo web server for a few months :)