[Coco] old backups, RESTORED!

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Thu Jan 6 19:04:19 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 06:09:20PM -0500, Steven Hirsch wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, Willard Goosey wrote:
>
> >The crash that finally taught me to do backups was the 2000 crash of
> >my main Linux machine's drive.  I lost *lots* of stuff there. :-(
>
> What are you using for Linux backup now?

Short answer:  I write tarballs to CD.

Long answer: I wrote my own backup suite to do backups because I have
lots of different OSes on my network (Linux, AmigaDOS, MS-DOS) and I
wanted to back them all up.

So I wrote a set of shell scripts (in whatever the native shell is)
that archives things up, copies the archives over the network to my
server, and then the server writes them to CD.

Unfortunately, my Mac (MacOS7) crashed after I got netatalk working
but before I could figure out how to make its script.  I haven't tried
to make an OS-9+drivewire script yet.

Also, ~ftp is a full CD by itself these days, so I need to do some
tweaking there.  ;-)

I've been meaning to put it on the web, if you're interested...

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard