[Coco] Converting ANSI-C to K&R(Microware) - Ansifront didn't work

Michael Furman n6il at ocs.net
Sat Jan 8 15:39:19 EST 2011

I'm still hell-bent on getting a screen editor that works over serial/telnet on my coco, and vi-like would be the best. I have PVIC that compiles for the coco but the binary is too big to fit in memory and run (The binary is 77k)

I thought about using Busybox's built-in VI.  Turns out someone already pulled it out as a standalone: http://freshmeat.net/projects/virus  This compiles and runs fine on my Mac but it's ANSI-C so need to translate it to compile on the Coco.  I tried with Ansifront and the program is so big it blew Ansifront's mind and ran out of stack space and memory.  Is there another way to convert ANSI C to K&R C automatically?  My searching on the interwebs found no hits-- all the hits were K&R to ANSI.  I don't care what OS it runs on (Linux/Windows/Mac/Nitros9)   Also the ansifront instructions say to run "c.prep" first, which leads into my second question....

The ansifront documentation mentions "Version 2.5 of CC" and I do see this on RTSI.  I'd appreciate it if someone could give me some pointers on how to cobble together the most recent C environment that runs on Nitros9, which libraries and Cprep to get to go along with this...