[Coco] Cable assistance

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Feb 19 08:50:37 EST 2011

On Saturday, February 19, 2011 08:14:52 am Richard Ivey did opine:

> I am wanting to modify my dual disc drive enclosure.  I want it to have
> a regular 5.25 disc and a 3.5 inch floppy.  I want it set up where the
> 3.5 is the primary.
>
> I am willing to pay you for supplies AND labor, or I can collect the
> cables and whatnot and send them to you.
>
> Thanks Group.

This is not as easily done when the requirement is for the 3.5 inch drive
to be drive 0.  This essentially means that one must cobble up his drive
cable from a 'twisted' pc cable, which unless you've a well stocked junkbox
of old pc cables laying around, is getting more difficult.  If you have
such a cable, then installing the 34 pin card edge connector usually will
fix it right up.

The reason being that the 3.5" drives made for the last 25 years are all
programmed to be drive 1.  So unless you can do some trace cuts and
jumpering on the 3.5" drive in order to assign its address as drive 0, the
twisted cable will be required.

Secondarily, and I have at least 2 such drives myself, is that the data
recovery circuits in many of the later drives cannot operate at the coco's
250 kilobaud rates, aka the DD, not HD data rates.  That seems to be
married to the HD hole in the diskette case.  But covering the hole also
turns down the recording currents, usually so far that a decent, long
lasting recording cannot be made.  I have played with this a bit, and have
found in a case or two where I could format the disk, and make a boot disk
that faded within an hour to an unbootable disk.

Because dealing with a 3.5" as drive 0 is such a pima, I have relegated
their use to only drive 1 here.

Even that is of relatively little utility since I built this machine
several years ago, as this $300 ASUS motherboard has an FDC that cannot
deal with 256 byte sector disk formats regardless of what I tell it with
setfdparm. (linux of course), so while I can pull the latest cvs image for
nitros9 and rebuild it locally using toolshed, I have resorted to using sz
to send that built image to the coco over a 9600 baud serial cable, then
copy it to a small clean scsi hard drive and adjust the /S1 drive with
dmode to make it think that hard drive is an 80 track floppy, at which
point it is entirely usable just as if it was a floppy, but 10x faster.
With a TC^3 controller, I can now have all 3 scsi hard drives available but
haven't actually done it yet as I need to rebuild my drive tower to hold
the 3 floppies and the 3 HD's plus a cdrom, and its out of room. :-[

I'm also playing with drivewire 4, but haven't worked out how to fit that
into the available 'system' ram, so I can't just mount that built image
directly. Yet.  I do have a printer working over drivewire 4 though, neat!

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)