[Coco] CVS access to NitrOS9 and Toolshed

Lothan lothan at newsguy.com
Tue Feb 15 19:47:26 EST 2011

From: Robert Gault

>I may be the only person using a Windows system to obtain and compile these
>Sourceforge projects so I don't know how much this will help others. Still,
>just in case it will help, here is how my WinXP system is set up.
>I use TortoiseCVS to obtain the source code from Sourceforge. The Tortoise
>package contains three support programs puttygen.exe, TortoisePlink.exe,
>and pageant.exe which are used to log into Sourceforge with SSH-2 DSA
>protocols.
>
>You must generate public/private keys with puttygen. Save the private key
>and send the public key to Sourceforge. (Detailed instructions can be found
>on the Sourceforge site.) You must tell TortoiseCVS that SSH protocol will
>be handled by TortoisePlink. Before trying to checkout, update, or commit
>changes to Sourceforge, you must start pageant and tell it which private
>key to use.
>
>This is all fairly involved and I don't know what software is required for
>non-Windows systems. Nevertheless, the process likely will be similar for
>any OS.

Thanks for the information, Robert. I've been using Cygwin's CVS to access
some of the Soureforge projects and it's still a cranky pain in the what you
sit on. I haven't gotten around to installing TortoiseCVS yet, but I do have
TortoiseSVN and TortoiseGit installed. Of course, Subversion, Mercurial, and
Git all make using SSL dead simple - just use https instead of http. No
silly mucking about with public/private keys required.