[Coco] How would I go about connecting my CoCo 2 to a BBS?

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Tue Feb 8 21:00:42 EST 2011

At 07:10 PM 2/8/2011, you wrote:
>I don't have a modem but I do have a way to load a program (over cass) onto
>the CoCo. What are my choices for connecting a modem to the computer?

I thought I woke up in 1985 here.  :)

A public BBS might be hard to find unless, of course, google comes to
the rescue and tells you where they are, but all you need is a
telephone modem and the telecomm software such as Ultimaterm 4.1 for
the CoCo 3.  The software can even do 115200 bps by setting it to 450
bps, and if the modem chooses the fastest speed possible based on
your cable speed, you should be able to connect at a decent speed
depending on the remote system.

If your telecomm program doesn't support the 6551 based paks but
supports the 4-pin serial/printer port, you'll need a CoCo-to-DB-25
serial cable.  If the program supports 6551 paks, you'll need a DB-25
cable (both ends). You might have to force handshaking somehow by
connecting pins 20 and 8 (I think)?  This whole subject can spawn
into a nightmare of old 80's modem issues that have been rehashed
over and over, so you might even be able to find all you need by
searching the archives at coco3.com.

--
~ Roger Taylor