[Coco] OS9 vs Flex

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Sat Dec 31 19:25:19 EST 2011

I think the standard version of UniFlex for the SWTPc that they are
trying to get going on the SWTPc emulator uses the DMAF-2 floppy Disk
controller that uses a 6844 DMA controller and FD179X floppy disk
controller. I was hoping to design a FPGA 6844 DMA controller and
implement a FD179X interface to a CF card, to emulate the DMAF-2, but
it's been a fairly low priority up until now.

The UniFlex Archive I think was at rtmx:

http://www.rtmx.com/UniFLEX/

I think the DMA was required for the 8" Double Density disks. I'm not
sure that it would be a very easy job porting UniFlex to the CoCo3. It
would need the extended memory of the CoCo3.

Has anyone interfaced high density 3.5" floppies to the CoCo ? Because
you'd be up for the same problem with those. The data rate would be too
fast for a 6809 software polling loop for the 1.44MB floppies. You'd
need a floppy disk controller with sector buffering for the CoCo.

John.

http://www.johnkent.com.au
http://members.optusnet.com.au/jekent