[Coco] OS9 vs Flex

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sat Dec 31 12:36:31 EST 2011

On 12/31/2011 11:02 AM, Frank Swygert wrote:
> Hmmm... I seem to recall Frank Hogg's articels saying that Flex was at
> least multi-user, if not multi-tasking. Seems like one would have to
> go with the other, but it's possible that each user could only run one
> task at a time instead of many... I don't recall enough!! Need to find
> one of Hogg's Rainbow articles/ads...
>
> --------------
> Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 23:37:54 -0500
> From: gene heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com>
>
> What are Flex's limitations, contrasted with OS9?
>
> It was a dos, no multitasking.

Flex was modeled after CP/M, I believe, and originally ran on the 6800,
ported later to the 6809.  Uniflex, as has been stated, was supposed to
add multi-tasking and be more UNIX-like.  Flex ran on the CoCo 1/2, but
those versions broke on the CoCo 3, and I'm not sure if it was ever
patched or updated to do so.  I don't think there was a Uniflex that
worked on the CoCo.  However, I believe the source code for most of
Uniflex was uncovered and can be found online if you look for it.
Porting that to the CoCo 3 would be a project for somebody.

JCE