[Coco] speech/sound pak was Re: COCO FPGA

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 24 07:21:53 EST 2011

On 24/12/2011 10:46, Willard Goosey wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 07:19:59PM +1100, Mark McDougall wrote:
>> The reason the Speech Pak hasn't been emulated in an FPGA is because it has
>> (IIRC) a processor, so someone would have to first develop and debug that
>> core before the rest of the pak
>
> Wasn't somebody working on that?  Is that still in progress?

I believe that the processor is an early PIC, when they where still made
by GI rather than Microchip, I'd be supprised if there wasn't a Verilog
or VHDL PIC core.

I seem to remember also that the code had been dumped from the PIC, so
should also be possible to port it to something more modern, if the PICs
are anything like the AVRs there may be an backward compatibility mode
on the modern PICs of the same pinout that would allow the code to be
used directly.....

Cheers.

Phill.