[Coco] COCO FPGA

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 11:38:38 EST 2011

Converting from serial to SD card (when you don't have to) will give
mediocre results, as seen in existing products that use that
technique.  Since the FPGA board has the SD reader built in, it makes
more sense to implement support directly.  Gary has done some work
towards that goal.

For "real" CoCos a small device that plugs into the bitbanger and runs
DriveWire is nice.  You can do this now with a Linksys NSLU2 or a
Nokia N800, and probably any other small device that runs Java, I have
only personally tested those 2 devices.  The "plug computers" like the
Guru Plug are other possibilities.  I have been watching the Raspberry
Pi project with interest, as this tiny and cheap computer should run
DW fine and would allow something even smaller, perhaps even something
that fits inside a ROM pak.

As for hardware like the Speech/Sound pak, don't forget that these can
be implemented right in the FPGA.   While the FGPA boards do provide
I/O pins for interfacing with add on hardware, there isn't always a
need to build it when FPGAs are so flexible and powerful.

-Aaron