[Coco] Coco MC-10 connection problem

J.P. Samson coco+list at jeanpaulsamson.com
Thu Dec 22 19:17:35 EST 2011

On Dec. 22, 2011, at 4:28 PM, john T Chasteen wrote:

> I have the impression that I need the "Channel 3/4 Switch" to connect
> the MC-10 to the New Flat screen TV.  Will the MC-10 work when
> connected directly? I have several inputs to the TV... TV, VGA,
> SVIDEO, HDMI, AV, COMPONENT The MC-10 Manual instructs to use the use
> the Switch... The MC-10 can be set to connect to channel 3 or 4 .

Doesn't the MC-10 have a channel selector switch on the bottom of the
computer?  Assuming your new TV has an analog tuner in it, I figure
you should be able to connect to the coax input on the TV directly
(using the aforementioned adapter).  Then, simply set the channel on
the TV to 3 or 4 to match the switch setting on the underside of the
MC-10.  As far as I know, there aren't any impedance-matching issues
(everything is at 75 ohms, I think).  The big problem is how much
interference will there be in the picture?

Any modern TV is not going to have a twin-lead 300 ohm antenna input,
so why bother trying to convert the MC-10's 75 ohm RF output using the
switchbox, only to have to reconvert back to a 75 ohm coax cable to
screw into the coax jack on the back of the TV?

Perhaps this is more complicated that I think.  (Could there be a
balanced versus unbalanced issue?)  Gene knows way, way more about
this stuff.

-- JP