[Coco] LIF util for OS-9?

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 16:09:05 EST 2011

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011, Steven Hirsch wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Nov 2011, Willard Goosey wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 07:34:35AM -0400, Steven Hirsch wrote:
>>> My old HP64000 development system used that format for its diskettes.
>>> Anyone remember those beasts?
>>
>> I've GOT one!
>>
>> Mine is very stripped down, unfortunately.  I just have the mainframe.
>> No hard drives or hardware emulators.  And that beast really wants to
>> run off a hard drive.  Still there is now hope, because the HPDRIVE
>> project makes an NT box emulate a hard drive and apparently works with
>> the 64K.
>>
>> And yes, it is a beast!  I desire to own no computer I can't lift, and
>> the 64000 is pushing that boundry. :-)
>
> Heh.  At one point, I had three of them and two of the monster hard drives.
> When space got tight, things had to go.
>
> I never was able to find out much of anything about the CPU.  I think it said
> Intersil on it, but otherwise seemed proprietary to the 64000.  It went with
> a large plastic storage bin full of memory boards, I/O, EPROM burner, you
> name it.  The guy who picked it up filled a van :-).

Quick followup:  I found some ancient docs in my archives that talk a bit
more about the HP64000 CPU.  Transcribed below:

...it used the BPC processor, which is the CPU part of the multi-chip set
used in the 9825 calculator.  The BPC was a cross between the HP2100
instruction set and the 21MX instruction set.  It had byte-addressable
instructions, and a return stack with a JSB variant that would push the
return address on the stack instead of the first word of the target
subroutine (necessary if the program was in rom...).

Steve